Tuesday, December 23, 2008

a christmas win

When I was 40, my doctor advised me that a man in his 40s shouldn't play tennis. I heeded his advice carefully and could hardly wait until I reached 50 to start again.
- Hugo Black

The opponent I was scheduled to play today in the league didn't show up. And to be honest, I was kind of relieved. It's been a busy month, maybe I could consider this an early Christmas gift in disguise from the tennis gods.

But the awesome people at the training center quickly called upon their resources to get me someone to play against. So I figured the gift gone, sat down with a cup of hot chocolate, and waited for my new opponent to arrive.

About half an hour later, she did, and was perhaps the nicest player I've played all season.

Not to mention, I won 6-1, 6-0 and got off the court with time to spare.

A Christmas gift well received, indeed.

On a side note, we took a short break after the first set to record the score, and when we were done, I sprinted back out onto the court with my pen...and no racquet. I realized it when I got to the baseline. Clearly, a writer and anxious tennis player all rolled into one.

I wouldn't have it any other way =)

No comments: