Tuesday, January 6, 2009

winning in the new year

Let no one say that I have said nothing new . . . the arrangement of the subject is new. When we play tennis, we both play with the same ball, but one of us places it better.
- Blaise Pascal

Today's match was awesome...perhaps the best one I've played all season. The longest first set I've played, the longest rallies, the quickest to make me break a set, the most exciting from point to point.

The first set took about an hour, and since points in the league are determined on games won, we skipped a tiebreak and went straight to the second set. I took the first set, 6-5.

We had about 10 minutes to start the next set. Score: 2-1, my opponent.

So yes, technically, we broke even, no better or worse in our rankings than when we had started.

But that's not what mattered. I felt like I had played well, really well. I was hitting the ball with power, with confidence, with intent. After one point that lasted for what seemed like several minutes, I had to ask out loud if we were playing for money. I ran to every ball and got to a lot of them. We each had some great winners and some say-a-prayer-and-close-your-eyes shots that were nothing short of awesome. Even a coach in the next court over had to comment on what was happening on our court. It was pretty cool.

Oh, and it was the first time all season that I think I kind of hurt my ankle...and my wrist.

So a win (kind of), some war wounds, and a really good feeling contributed to a very nice tennis start to my new year.

Now if only someone could help me with the money I need to sign up for the spring league...

No comments: